Sunday, January 12, 2014

Landscape in Transition #6

In my last post I wrote about where my flower inspirations came from.  The lovely Chinese Lantern
specimen came from my friend Wendy.  It's beautiful delicate flower.  On my first attempt at painting it I complained to my friend that I just couldn't capture  what I was seeing in the flower, something was wrong, what wasn't I getting right, she said and I quote; " you need more orange in the lanterns, " so that was my next attempt to get it right. Well, after much noodling with color I still haven't gotten it "right."

I think one of the problems is they appear too opaque; the lanterns have a wonderful translucency to them that I haven't been able to capture.  I still want to keep the landscape image on the right side of the painting   I didn't want to paint over the image and because I normally sand the images off by hand which is very labor intensive;  off I went to Home Depot and bought myself a small electric sander. Today will be the day the image goes away and I may rethink what flower goes with the landscape image. I need to get this painting out of my head and out of my hands.  What do you do when you get stuck with problematic a painting?

No comments: